Thursday 20 January 2011

Special Needs... Special treatment??

I always have a big heart whenever I encounter suspected special needs cases. I do not believe in SEN diagnosis all the time. Some teachers label the children as SEN to make it convenient to escape from responsibility, so people won't see their failure as a teacher. In these years of teaching, i've fought to save a few of them. It put me in trouble, but it's ok. I guess it comes with my stubborn nature. I just have to prove not all diagnosed SEN are indeed SEN.

Most of the time, teachers fail to do background checks. Their judgment relied merely on what is seen by them. Sometimes, people forget that there are children that are merely slow... not so bright. However, nothing's really wrong with them. There are some who appears to be SEN, they look like one, but they are apparently normal children not behaving like one due to some harsh medications.

However, should SEN children be given special treatment in an inclusive classroom? Should we just allow them to do whatever they want because they cannot control their emotions? I don't think so.

I think a set of rules with visuals should be available to teach them the classroom rules. Talking to them gently works all the time. They need to get busy. They need more activities to keep them engaged. Just like any normal children, SEN misbehave when bored. Short learning activities work with them. Now comes the question of its feasibility in an inclusive classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment